‘Pupils feel safe and their behaviour is outstanding.’
The purpose of internet use in school is to raise educational standards, to promote pupil achievement, to support the professional work of staff and to enhance the school’s management information and business administration systems.
Internet use is a part of the statutory curriculum and a necessary tool for staff and pupils.
Internet access is an entitlement for pupils who show a responsible and mature approach to its use.
As part of your child’s curriculum and the development of ICT skills, Wilkes Green Junior School is providing supervised access to the Internet. We believe that the effective use of the World Wide Web and e-mail is worthwhile and is an essential skill for children as they grow up in the modern world.
Please would you read the attached Rules for Responsible Internet Use and sign and return the consent form so that your child may use Internet at school.
Although there are concerns about pupils having access to undesirable materials, we have taken positive steps to reduce this risk in school. Our school Internet provider BGFL operates a filtering system that restricts access to inappropriate materials. This may not be the case at home and we can provide references to information on safe Internet access if you wish. We also have leaflets from national bodies that explain the issues further.
Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure that suitable restrictions are placed on the ability of children to access inappropriate materials, the School cannot be held responsible for the nature or content of materials accessed through the Internet. The School will not be liable for any damages arising from your child’s use of the Internet facilities.
These rules help us to be fair to others and keep everyone safe.
- I will ask permission before using the internet.
- I will use only my own network login and password, which is secret.
- I will only look at or delete my own files.
- I understand that I must not bring software, disks or memory cards into school without permission.
- I will only e-mail people I know, or my teacher has approved.
- The messages I send will be polite and sensible.
- I understand that I must never give my home address or phone number, or arrange to meet someone.
- I will ask for permission before opening an e-mail or an e-mail attachment sent by someone I do not know.
- I will not use internet chat, SMS messenger, Facebook or other forms of social media.
- I see anything I am unhappy with or I receive messages I do not like, I will tell a teacher immediately.
- I understand that the school may check my computer files and the internet sites I visit.
- I understand that if I deliberately break these rules, I may not be allowed to use the internet or computers.